LUXURY ALMOND CROQUETTE
- 6 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 slices white bread
- 6 tablespoons hot mustard
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- Local beer to taste
- Bay leaves, thyme, parsley stems, three cloves, salt, pepper
- 3kg (skinned) pork cheeks
- 2kg tomatoes
- The following ingredients give extra flavour: 1 or 2 Breydel drumsticks, teriyaki sauce, Dordogne Spice Mix (from the Verstegen collection)
Peel and chop the onions. Peel and crush the garlic. Take an extra large stew pan and start stewing these ingredients.
Take a frying pan, add a knob of butter and fry the pork cheeks briefly on high heat until they are golden brown.
· Add the seared meat to the stew of onions and garlic. Season the meat with some extra spices (e.g. Dordogne Mix by Verstegen) and some salt and ground pepper to taste
· Add the bay leaf, a few sprigs of thyme and (if available) some parsley and cloves.
· Deglaze the meat pan and add the juice to the stew, you can also add some teriyaki sauce and a little broth.
· Add the roughly chopped tomatoes to the stew pan. Sprinkle the sugar in the pan and toss in the white bread smeared with the hot mustard.
· Let the stew simmer on low heat for 3 – 4 minutes.
· Taste the result and add some more salt and pepper if needed, you can also bind the sauce if necessary.
· Serve the meal with Potato croquettes “De Kroketterie” or possibly with the Luxury Almond croquettes “De Kroketterie”..
Serve with a Belgian endive salad.
Serving tip: take a large plate, serve the pork cheeks in a mini cocotte and place the croquettes next to it with the salad arranged in a straight line on the other side.